Extract from the website
Click the picture to visit the
A town of the Middle Ages : Occupied by men since at least the fifth century BC, the town of Evron as it is now only originates from seventh century AD.
The town was constructed around a Benedictine abbey founded as the result of a legend. A great religious center, the monastery attracted many pilgrims who enabled the city to develop. Gradually, merchants and craftsmen settled. The hostels to accommodate these travellers multiplied, traders in pious objects proliferated.
In 1667, Protestant soldiers evicted the monks from the abbey for some time. Upon their return, they decided to fortify the monastery and build a wall around it. Disappeared today, these whole fortifications deeply structured the architecture of the town and especially the place where the houses are still aligned with the former route of the wall.
With about 2800 inhabitants in 1700, Evron was already an important town with its regular fairs and its population continued to grow.
The first half of the nineteenth century was marked by the construction of a road network in a star pattern around the town and then by the passage of the SNCF Paris-Laval railway line in 1855.
Taking advantage of these new facilities, the lime industry, the making of bricks, developed and replace the production of textiles and even that of iron. The Tirard hat factory develops and opens a store in Paris…